About

I'm Mike Pope. I live in the Seattle area. I've been a technical writer and editor for over 35 years. I'm interested in software, language, music, movies, books, motorcycles, travel, and ... well, lots of stuff.

Read more ...

Blog Search


(Supports AND)

Feed

Subscribe to the RSS feed for this blog.

See this post for info on full versus truncated feeds.

Quote

When doing botanical work in South America, steer clear of the monkeys: They will throw sticks at you with surprising accuracy.

— Botanist, Tricks of the Trade



Navigation





<February 2024>
SMTWTFS
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282912
3456789

Categories

  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  

Contact Me

Email me

Blog Statistics

Dates
First entry - 6/27/2003
Most recent entry - 11/30/2023

Totals
Posts - 2652
Comments - 2673
Hits - 2,642,078

Averages
Entries/day - 0.35
Comments/entry - 1.01
Hits/day - 350

Updated every 30 minutes. Last: 5:07 AM Pacific


  10:05 AM

I created a website in WebMatrix and decided later to move it to a different location. Since the site's files are all self-contained, I just moved them in Windows Explorer. However, when I opened up WebMatrix, I went to My Sites and clicked on the site:



However, this resulted in an error:



Of course. So the question is how to get WebMatrix to understand the site's new location. Turns out to be pretty easy. The site information is in the applicationhost.config file which is in turn in (here's the not-intuitive part) the My Documents\IISExpress\config folder.
 
This is an XML file that has a element containing a child element for each site that WebMatrix knows about. All I had to do was change the highlighted bit to point to the new location:

<site name="MotorcycleBlog" id="11">
  <application path="/">
    <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\MotorcycleBlog" />
  </application>
  <bindings>
    <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:6867:localhost" />
  </bindings>
</site>


And thereafter WebMatrix opened the moved site from the correct location.

[categories]  

[3] |