About

I'm Mike Pope. I live in the Seattle area. I've been a technical writer and editor for over 30 years. I'm interested in software, language, music, movies, books, motorcycles, travel, and ... well, lots of stuff.

Read more ...

Blog Search


(Supports AND)

Google Ads

Feed

Subscribe to the RSS feed for this blog.

See this post for info on full versus truncated feeds.

Quote

There is an inherent and pervasive bias in pure-text communication which makes statements intended to be good-humoured sound sophomoric, makes statements which were intended to be friendly sound smarmy, makes statements which were intended to be enthusiastic sound brash, makes statements intended to be helpful sound condescending, makes statements which were intended to be precise and accurate sound brusque and pedantic, makes statements which were intended to be positive sound neutral, and makes statements which were intended to be neutral seem downright hostile. [...] Writing is hard.

Eric Lippert



Navigation





<November 2017>
SMTWTFS
2930311234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293012
3456789

Categories

  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  

Contact

Email me

Blog Statistics

Dates
First entry - 6/27/2003
Most recent entry - 11/17/2017

Totals
Posts - 2460
Comments - 2563
Hits - 1,999,930

Averages
Entries/day - 0.47
Comments/entry - 1.04
Hits/day - 380

Updated every 30 minutes. Last: 3:49 AM Pacific


  10:05 AM

I created a website in WebMatrix and decided later to move it to a different location. Since the site's files are all self-contained, I just moved them in Windows Explorer. However, when I opened up WebMatrix, I went to My Sites and clicked on the site:



However, this resulted in an error:



Of course. So the question is how to get WebMatrix to understand the site's new location. Turns out to be pretty easy. The site information is in the applicationhost.config file which is in turn in (here's the not-intuitive part) the My Documents\IISExpress\config folder.
 
This is an XML file that has a element containing a child element for each site that WebMatrix knows about. All I had to do was change the highlighted bit to point to the new location:

<site name="MotorcycleBlog" id="11">
  <application path="/">
    <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\MotorcycleBlog" />
  </application>
  <bindings>
    <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:6867:localhost" />
  </bindings>
</site>


And thereafter WebMatrix opened the moved site from the correct location.

[categories]  

[3] |