About

I'm Mike Pope. I live in the Seattle area. I've been a technical writer and editor for over 30 years. I'm interested in software, language, music, movies, books, motorcycles, travel, and ... well, lots of stuff.

Read more ...

Blog Search


(Supports AND)

Google Ads

Feed

Subscribe to the RSS feed for this blog.

See this post for info on full versus truncated feeds.

Quote

It is a right, which all free men claim, that they are entitled to complain when they are hurt. They have a right publicly to remonstrate against the abuses of power in the strongest terms, to put their neighbors upon their guard against the craft or open violence of men in authority, and to assert with courage the sense they have of the blessings of liberty, the value they put upon it, and their resolution at all hazards to preserve it.

Andrew Hamilton



Navigation





<January 2018>
SMTWTFS
31123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031123
45678910

Categories

  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  
  RSS  

Contact

Email me

Blog Statistics

Dates
First entry - 6/27/2003
Most recent entry - 1/15/2018

Totals
Posts - 2475
Comments - 2570
Hits - 2,015,535

Averages
Entries/day - 0.47
Comments/entry - 1.04
Hits/day - 379

Updated every 30 minutes. Last: 5:23 AM Pacific


  10:05 AM

I created a website in WebMatrix and decided later to move it to a different location. Since the site's files are all self-contained, I just moved them in Windows Explorer. However, when I opened up WebMatrix, I went to My Sites and clicked on the site:



However, this resulted in an error:



Of course. So the question is how to get WebMatrix to understand the site's new location. Turns out to be pretty easy. The site information is in the applicationhost.config file which is in turn in (here's the not-intuitive part) the My Documents\IISExpress\config folder.
 
This is an XML file that has a element containing a child element for each site that WebMatrix knows about. All I had to do was change the highlighted bit to point to the new location:

<site name="MotorcycleBlog" id="11">
  <application path="/">
    <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\MotorcycleBlog" />
  </application>
  <bindings>
    <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="*:6867:localhost" />
  </bindings>
</site>


And thereafter WebMatrix opened the moved site from the correct location.

[categories]  

[3] |